As you may know by now, every week I try to bring you something that is useful in the area of data backup. Sometimes it may be a hardware piece or some new and nifty software item. This weeks blog will not contain either. We will focus on a simple practice of not hoarding useless data.
I was inspired.
A friend of mine who is an avid photographer found that he had over 30,000 photographs that he really did not use or need in his computer. Of course because he backs up his computer on a regular basis, he was also backing up 30,000 photographs he really did not need. Realizing this, he decided it was time to delete these “useless” files and save him from keeping data he did not need.
Cleanliness is next to happiness.
So you say, “what do you mean by that Calvin?” Well, let me tell you. There are a lot of benefits to “cleaning house” of files you do not need on your computer. I will list those benefits here.
1. Faster Backups – Less data to copy, faster backup.
2. More space for new projects – why take up space on hard disk storage with stuff not being used or wanted.
3. Less wear and tear on hard drive – with less for the system to keep track of, the less hard drive activity.
4. Less to worry about in case of loss – Why fret over losing 100 gigabytes of data when only 20 gigabytes of data was really being used.
5. Easier to find things – Even with Spotlight and a well planned out folder system, when the number of files get really large, the search can be long.
6. Last but not least – WHY BE A PACK RAT?
So with Spring coming in a few months, why not consider planning on doing some cleaning of the hard drive of your computer as well.
For the stylish “Geekette”
I was doing some research on the Internet and came across this item of apparel that should be a must in all female Twitter fans wardrobe. I would imagine this would have been a real style setter at last weeks Detroit Auto Show Charity Preview. However a pump or slingback would be more appropriate than a T-strap at the Preview. I am sure there was some tweeting going on there that night.
Of course no Friday post would be complete without a classical music video selection
This week I offer up the 1983 video that shows when an underdog or someone who is viewed as “not so cool”, gets her revenge against the oppressor. It goes with the Twitter hose. Also nothing says more about who you are better than a fur covered guitar. Enjoy!
Catch me this upcoming Saturday evening between 5PM and 7PM on Radio AM 760 WJR as I co-host “The Internet Advisor Show”! Of course if you miss it, you can download the podcast of the show from the Internet Advisor website.