I probably use Spotlight more than any other tool to search for or launch items on my computer. So I decided to give up the third-party plugins.
While some of the third-party plugins have all kinds of great and creative enhancements, if I wasn’t using them, that just meant computer clutter. For me, using Spotlight was just faster. Probably because I keep my fingers on the keyboard and access many files and folders from my keyboard.
Here are some of the shortcuts that help me navigate with Spotlight for quick and easy access.
- Open Spotlight search function
- Open a Spotlight window
Once a search term is entered, the Spotlight menu populates:
- Open the top hit search term
Press Return key
- Open the folder location of the top hit search term
- Select first item in the next category
- Select the first item in the previous category
- Select the first item in the Spotlight menu
- Select the last item in the Spotlight menu
- Show info for selected hit
- Search for a specific document type
Enter “kind:psd” and "kind:psd filename"
- If you need a quick calculation
Enter the equation in Spotlight, it will supply the answer
What a about a quick definition?
Enter the word into Spotlight
You’ll get a definition as one of the search items
Hover over the snippet to get a popup of the full definition or select it and the Dictionary will open with more info.
Do you have any Spotlight shortcuts to add?